Georgie set my daughter and I a challenge this month…
Make some Valentine’s Day themed dance props! We had a lovely time making them and playing with them since. I’m not going to tell you how to make these things as there are lots of tutorials online about that already, but I would like to share some thoughts and ideas about what we did.
- This is a fantastically versatile prop. You can change the size (imagine a massive one for team work!), the shape (small hand held ones for dancing with), the content and the colour (red gel food colouring was pretty) so they could fit almost any theme.
- These are a wonderful thing for Active Armchairs. For all the reasons they are good for sensory stimulation, but also because they are unusual, not patronising (providing the contents is appropriate) and they brighten up the room.
- We only had jars for this, but I do think plastic screw top bottles are better. The jars look very pretty, but they are a little heavy and might break if dropped.
- When making them hand eye co-ordination and fine motor skills were developing.
- You can dance with them, copy them or move after them as they roll away.
- Play a version of eye spy and use the things in the bottle as inspiration for choreography.
Hearts for Hopping!
- I used an A4 bit of card and let Tiny One choose how to decorate them. We used crayons, stickers and paint. We could have made smaller ones and turned them into wands!
- They are also very versatile as shape, size, colour, decoration etc. can be changed.
- The texture of the puffy stickers is a nice addition to the game. Other textures could be used as well.
- They could also be used for aiming or landing pads and this would be fun for Active Armchairs.
- This would be a lovely thing for a cross-curricular approach. Each child in the class could make their own and they can bring them to dance as a magic spot or as part of a larger thing such as a long snake of hopping stones.
I enjoyed this challenge so if you have one to set us please get in contact and we’ll see what we can make!